What can I do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do?

It’s only my boss and I which work at our store; the owners live 5 hours away. He has had 2 months to hire someone yet hasn’t yet. I don’t receive lunch breaks or any type of breaks when I’m working alone and throughout the day I’m exhausted. Also, I just got paid today but I don’t believe it was the full amount. I worked 83 hours the past 2 and a half weeks and only received a $700 paycheck. Is that normal? I don’t know what to do.

Asked on May 31, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) There is nothing you can about being overworked: employers are allowed to understaff their businesses and overwork employees. In the U.S., under "employment at will" (which is the law in every state), if an employee feels overworked or that a job is impossible, his or her recourse is to quit and get a different or better job.
2) Are you (we presume) paid on an hourly basis, not an annual salary? If so, you must be paid at least minimum wage and overtime when work more than 40 hours in a single week. If you worked 83 hours in two-and-half weeks, while you don't indicate how many you worked in a single week, that could be less than 40 hours per week: we will assume there was no overtime. Minimum wage in your state is currently $12/hour. 83 hours at $12/hour is $996.00, but that is the gross, or pre-tax (pre-withholding) amount. If your pre-withholding/tax check was $996 or more, you were apparently paid the correct amount. If not, contact the state department of labor about filing a wage complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption