What can I do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do?

My husband and I pawned a 3/4 diamond ring with2 sapphires, 1 on each side, at a local pawn shop. We only pawned it for $90 because we needed money to get our car fixed. I am on social security due to a brain injury that is the only reason I pawned my ring in the first place. When we went back to get it they said that they could not find it. This was my engagement ring it’s been 28 years now from the day that I got that ring. And this was the only time that I took it off. They said that they would replace it for a ring worth $205 after we pay the $120 to get the lost ring out. That ring was over $2900 28 years ago. I don’t know what to do. I am literally sick over this. What can we do? I am not willing to let them give me a $205 ring. I am not sure if they

Asked on January 14, 2019 under Business Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Assuming you can prove the value of your ring, you can sue them for its full value. Someone, like a pawnshop, which takes responsibility for your possession is liable for its full value if they lose, steal, or destroy it, either intentionally or through carelessness. You can sue them for the value which you can prove (e.g. do you still have the receipt when when you bought it? An appraisal? etc.) A cost-effective and fast way to proceed is to sue in small claims court, as your own attorney or "pro se."

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption