What can I do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do?

My boss has on more occasions then not has either not signed my paycheck or not had enough funds in the business account to cover my paycheck. There have been numerous times that I actually had to wait a whole week to get my pay. Also, when he says to call him to make sure he makes the money transfer yet does not answer his phone or text then suspends me for coming to his house to demand my pay. Additionally, on many occasions he is not here for appointments with clients or shows up late for court hearings. I have to lie for him and when he does finally see the clients he tells them it was my fault for not putting it on the calander when in fact he is the one to blame. I am afraid to do anything other then laugh with him for fear that I will lose my job.

Asked on February 14, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Based on what you write, your best option is to find other employment. If we understand your question correctly (and if not, please repost and clarify), while payment is often delayed, you do ultimately get paid. The problem that poses for you is that the only real mechanisms to deal with not being paid are to either file a complaint with the department of labor or else sue the employer, but it appears that you would be paid any way before the complaint or lawsuit would come to fruitition, thereby rendering it moot. There is no effective way to deal with frequent late payment of wages, so if this is an issue for you, you need a job that pays you on time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption