what can i do

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what can i do

My old employer said they have me on camera cashing in stolening lottery tickets. However, I didn’t steal them. I found them in the bathroom. The camera doesn’t show me talking anything just checking and cashing them in. I’ve never been charged with any type of crime.

Asked on June 16, 2016 under Criminal Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

1) If you don't have a written employment contract limiting the reasons or process by which you could be fired, you are an employee at will and could be terminated (or demoted, suspended, pay or hours cut, etc.) for this, without charges or proof--that is, you could be fired, etc. at any time, for any reason.
2) If the employer is telling others that you stole when you did nit, you be able to sue for defamation. If you want to exlore that option, consult with a personal injury attorney.
3) If charges are brought, retain a criminal defense attorney to help you.
4) If sued by your employer for anything, to win the case, they'd have to prove that it is more likely than not that you stole.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption