What can I do if my landlord will not repair a leaky roof?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my landlord will not repair a leaky roof?

The building that I rent has had a leaky roof for 2 years now at least. I’m getting really sick of empty buckets, cleaning up water and the extra work. My landlord keeps telling me that he’s

getting it fixed but has no money to do this. So the roof still leaks. It’s starting to ruin my dance floor and all he says is you have renter’s insurance. Is there anything that I can do? I don’t want to move if I don’t have to.

Asked on May 10, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Nebraska


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The landlord's failure to repair the leaky roof is a breach of the implied warranty of habitability.  Although you could move out and terminate your obligation to pay rent for the balance of the term of the lease, since you said you don't want to move, it would be advisable to contact your local building code inspector who could compel the landlord to make the necessary repairs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption