What can I do if I’m wrongfully being charged for utilities?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I’m wrongfully being charged for utilities?

The gas and electric company has back charged me and estimated amount of gas for a period of 6 months. During which I had faithfully paid my bill that I received from them. The balance I now hold with them was created by an error where the meter was not registering usage. It would seem that their meter wasn’t not maintenance properly. I feel it is unfair that I now have a balance with them because of their negligence.

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and resolve the billing situation that you are writing about if the local utility company is not willing to compromise with its demand as to you in an amount that you are willing to pay is to contact your state's department of public utilities and make a complaint with the utility company that you are dealing with.

This governmental entity investigates consumer complaints against utility companies and reprimands them when they run afoul of administrative rules and regulations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption