What can hiring a private lawyer do to help my son in his upcoming case that a public defender can’t do?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can hiring a private lawyer do to help my son in his upcoming case that a public defender can’t do?

My son was caught with 30 ecstasy pills at a concert event and he is is being charged with sales and distribution even though there was no proof shown of money transacted at any time during event or after. This is my son’s 1st charge as an adult and he has no juvenile criminal record. He had been holding all pills for him and his friends. Does he need to speak with a criminal attorney? In Torrence, CA.

Asked on August 23, 2011 California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There is nothing a private attorney can do that a public defender can't--the question or issue is *how* to they do it. Public defenders are generally experienced and committed to their cause; they are also universally poorly paid and overworked. There is a limit to how much time, attention, and effort they can give any one of their clients. A private attorney hired by you will generally put more time and energy into the matter, because he or she is being paid to do so.

It's like the difference between going to your own doctor, who knows you and makes time for you, vs. going to a crowded inner city emergency room, where they are trying to keep their heads above water and juggle multiple serious cases all at once.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption