What can happen if you punched someone’s window due to anger out of what the person told you but nothing was damaged?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can happen if you punched someone’s window due to anger out of what the person told you but nothing was damaged?

Someone was waiting in there car double parking. I then try letting him know i wanted to park behind him and honked a couple of times. He would not move. I then got out my car and told him if he could nicely move. He insulted me and said no and pulled his windows up. I was mad and punched his window. Can I be arrested for this?

Asked on July 22, 2019 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you could be: what you did could been as attempted criminal mischief or vandalism (trying to damage his car), the making of a terroristic threat (trying to scare or intimidate someone--in this case by a violent act, not words), or disorderly conduct. That he was insulting or you were made is not a defense: you have no right to act out violently, even if fortuntely no damage was done and no one injured, out of anger.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption