What can happen if in an accident with no police involvement and the other driver does not have insurance?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can happen if in an accident with no police involvement and the other driver does not have insurance?

In an accident my friend was entering a road
and did not see a car coming in, everyone was
fine and no one was injured they pulled over
and talked it out. There was no police
involvement, the other driver told my friend he
just needed to buy a new wheel and that was it.
However the rear passenger door was messed
up, and the other driver did not have car
insurance. What can happen, if it was my
friends fault, can the other driver sue or what
are the possibilities?

Asked on July 19, 2017 under Accident Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since your friend was at fault in the accident, the other driver could file a property damage claim with your friend's insurance carrier for the cost of repairs to the car.
Most likely, the case will be settled at that point with your friend's insurance carrier which will end the matter.
If the case is not settled, the other driver could sue your friend for negligence. Your friend's insurance carrier will provide an attorney at no cost to represent him.
The fact that the party not at fault in the accident was uninsured does not prevent filing a property damage claim or filing a lawsuit if the case is not settled.
These cases are usually settled without filing a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption