What can happen if I’m 16 and my boy friend is 19?

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can happen if I’m 16 and my boy friend is 19?

I’m a 16 year girl and my boyfriend is 19, about to be 20. I’m about to be 17 but we want to know what can happen to him if my brother decides to involve the police? What would they do to him?

Asked on October 19, 2011 under Criminal Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your state has laws against an adult having intimate relations with a minor (which you are), your boyfriend who is twenty (20) years of age could very well be charged with a criminal offense.

My read of your question is that is what you are worried about. If a criminal charge is made against your boyfriend for improper conduct with a minor by law enforcement prosecuted by the district attorney's office, he may very well end up spending jail time and be registered as a sex offender if convicted. I recommend that he consult with a criminal defense attorney on the issue you are writing about.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption