What can happen if I filed a police report but later realized that it was incorrect?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can happen if I filed a police report but later realized that it was incorrect?

There was an incident where I had a bad reaction due to very low blood sugar and being dehydrated wherein I thought that my boyfriend attacked me. About a week later going over the night with someone else I realized that I was actually the aggressive one and started the argument, he was trying to prevent me from hurting him or myself. I have told the DA that it didn’t happen the way I reported and offered a new statement, however I don’t think it was clear enough. I want to plainly tell them that I started the fight that night, he did not do what I thought he did.

Asked on September 9, 2017 under Criminal Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

As you are now aware, it is up to the DA and not the alleged victim as to whether or not criminal charges are dismissed. The fact is that in domestic violence cases, many times victims are intimidated into trying to retract their statements, etc. Therefore, if there is other evidence to support a conviction, the case will move forward with or without the victim's cooperation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption