What can happen to the registered owner of an uninsured car regarding a car accident?

UPDATED: Apr 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can happen to the registered owner of an uninsured car regarding a car accident?

I was involved in a car accident that was my fault. I had no insurance. The car is not registered in my name but I bought the car several years ago from my mom. I have the bill of sale and signed title but never registered it in my name. They called my mom trying to sue her. Can they even if she has nothing to do with it? What can happen to me if I have no money and a full-time college student who barely has time to work? Can they suspend my license? I won’t be able to afford to pay.

Asked on April 7, 2011 under Accident Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Both you and your mom could be sued for the property damage and personal injury from the accident since you were at fault.  Your mom would be named in the lawsuit because she is the registered owner of the vehicle you were driving.  If the other driver sues and gets a judgment against you and your mom in an amount you are unable to pay, both of you might want to consider filing bankruptcy.

As to whether or not your license would be suspended depends on the penalty in your state for driving without insurance.  I am not familiar with Texas law. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption