What can be legally done about bed bugs in a hotel?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be legally done about bed bugs in a hotel?

We staying in a hotel and my mother was bitten by bed bug bites. Upon returning we brought back the bed bugs now my home has bed bugs. I have bites on my body. What can I do legally about this situation. The hotel manager offered us another room will provide 1/2 of hotel fee. I need to go to the doctor have my place exterminated today. All of this will be costly.

Asked on December 29, 2011 under Business Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you brought bed bugs back to your home from the hotel where you have to pay to get the vermin eradicated, I would write the hotel a letter stating the problem that you have sending it a copy of the bill for their removal, including doctor visits. Most likely the hotel that you stayed at has log notes of having to pay to eliminate the bed bugs during the time you were at it. Keep a copy of the letter for future need and reference.

If you do not receive an acceptable response from the hotel about paying your bill, then your recourse most likely will be small claims court against it.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption