What can be done if an apartment complex fails to repair broken or improperly working things in my apartment?

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done if an apartment complex fails to repair broken or improperly working things in my apartment?

I have repeatedly asked the complex to fix problems in our apartment and my requests are ignored. Our fan is very loose and can fall on us. Our windows are made of cheap plastic that sways in and out when the wind blows and I am afraid if one of my 1 or 2 year old accidentally falls against one it will not withstand their weight. We live on the second floor. Can something be done?

Asked on November 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the apartment manager is not responsive to your requests for repairs, then perhaps you might write the landlord about the situation to see what can be done? Or, you may have a repair person come by and give an estimate for the repairs and then give the estimate to the apartment manager for review.

If the problems that you write about are so severe, then perhaps have the local building and permit come by for an inspection and possible code violation write up. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption