What can be done about violating a POA agreement?

UPDATED: Jan 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done about violating a POA agreement?

The POA for my father changed the passwords to my father’s bank accounts without his knowledge. Additionally, he refused to attend a meeting regarding a personal financial issue at my father’s request because he wanted other family members at the meeting. He has also shared private information with several family members that was originally between my father and another family member. What can the family do about these violations? My father has not been deemed incapable of making his own decisions.

Asked on January 1, 2012 under Estate Planning, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The easiest way for things to be done and to be done quickly is to have your Father revoke the power of Attorney.  If your Father is not incompetent - and you say that he is indeed of sound mind - then have him send a letter by certified mail to the person who is the present Power of Attorney revoking the fiduciary duty he now holds.  Have him execute a new Power of Attorney - revoking all those executed in the past - and making sure that all financial institutions are aware of the change.  It would be advisable to go to the bank or banks with your Father and have them change the passwords or even close the present accounts and transfer the money to a new account that he has no access to at all.  If you want to call him on the carpet about his breaches of his fiduciary duties, speak with an attorney in your area about that to see if they are actionable.  Good luck.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption