What can be done about false information on my separation notice from work?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done about false information on my separation notice from work?

I was fired for excessive absences. Yes, I did have several but what was wrong is they wrote on my separation notice that I was warned about my absences the week prior to my termination. That’s a damn

lie and I can garuntee no-one heard him tell me that.

Asked on April 28, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It depends: is the separation notice shown to others (e.g. to possible employers) or not?
Lying about you in a way which may damage your repuation or employment/economic prospects *to other people (or businesses)* may  be defamation: something illegal to do, which you could sue them over.
However, telling an untruth about you only to you is not defamation and is not illegal--it is understandably upsetting, but not illegal. Anyone may say anything they like about another person *to* that person without liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption