what can be done about a plea that was taken in arobbery case, when the plea was changed to add firearm and more time without the personknowing it.

UPDATED: May 18, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 18, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what can be done about a plea that was taken in arobbery case, when the plea was changed to add firearm and more time without the personknowing it.

what the lawyer told him he was signing for a pleawas discovered to be different a few days laterafter the plea and sentencing was over. Can this person appeal. what can be done?

Asked on May 18, 2009 under Criminal Law, Florida


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The person needs to speak to the lawyer who was representing him when he entered the guilty plea, first of all, to find out why the deal was changed, and why he wasn't told.  For a second opinion, you might want to look for another criminal defense lawyer in your area, perhaps at our website, http://attorneypages.com

There has to be more to this story than you were told.  In most courts, entering a guilty plea on a plea bargain isn't just a matter of paperwork.  The full details of the plea, usually, are read aloud into the record, and the defendant usually has to state, under oath, what he did, in enough detail to support all of the charges that he's pleading guilty to.  You should be able to get a transcript of the plea hearing, and any attempt to change the sentence or withdraw the plea is going to have to have that transcript as part of the record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption