What can an unarmed and untrained security guard for an apartment complex do?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can an unarmed and untrained security guard for an apartment complex do?

They tried to kick my guests out of my apartment and when I ask for their identification. They got short with me and refused to tell me their names.

Asked on February 18, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your guests were disturbing the "peaceful enjoyment" of other tenants (e.g. excessive noise; harassment or threats of/to other tenants), were committing crimes, including drug-related crimes at the time, and/or were damaging or threatening to damage the landlord's property, the guards may ask them to leave. Or of you and guests were violating any house rules which the lease makes applicable to you, such as a requirement that guests sign in, or that they cannot stay past a certain time, the guards could again ask them to leave.

But without some threat, crime, harassment of others, disturbance, or lease violation, the guards should not have grounds to ask your guests to leave.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption