What are the wages for trustee?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the wages for trustee?

How do you figure out what to charge?

Asked on March 4, 2018 under Estate Planning, South Dakota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

In SD, if a declaration of trust does not specify the rate or amount of the trustee's compensation, then the trustee is entitled to "receive reasonable compensation" for the performance of their duties. If the declaration specifies the amount or rate of compensation, then the trustee is entitled to that rate and no more. In your case, it paaears that no compensation has been listed, accordingly since you are an accountant, the fees charged must be reasonalbe for someone with your expertise. Exactly what that rate is, is a matter best discussed directly with a probate attorney in the area who will be familar with local customs relating to such fees. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption