What are the steps for appointing legal guardianship for minors outside the US?

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the steps for appointing legal guardianship for minors outside the US?

My sister would like to appoint me as her children’s permanent legal guardian. The children live outside of the US and are not llegal here. What are the steps I should take for legal guardianship in this case?

Asked on December 9, 2011 under Immigration Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way for your sister to have you named as guardian of the presumed minor children and of their assets in the event something happens to her is for her to have legal guardianship papers drawn up in under the laws of the country that she is presently residing in naming you as such.

One the papers have been drawn up and signed, a copy should be sent to you for safe keeping. Other family members should be advised of your sister's decision as a safeguard as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption