What are the Statutes of Limitations, in OR. and WA. regarding the age of a debt that Collection Agencies can attemt to collect?Thank you, ****

UPDATED: May 17, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 17, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the Statutes of Limitations, in OR. and WA. regarding the age of a debt that Collection Agencies can attemt to collect?Thank you, ****

I have two Collection Agencies calling me with 4 to 6 year old debt that has been written off on my Credit Report. I also have a collection Agency attemting to collect a debt that was never mine.

Asked on May 17, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Oregon


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The SOL for written contracts is 6-7 years.  The SOL does not being to run untill the date of the default (i.e. your failure to pay).  If there is a lawsuit filed within that time, the SOL is a non-issue. Based on the circumstances, you should have a lawyer get involved to determine if the debt is valid and if there are any ways to settle or get the creditor to go away.  You should not keep avoiding this as it could become a real problem (i.e. the agency courld file suit and get a judgment without you knowing and take money from your bank account or lien your home).  Is there a lawsuit pending?  In any event, you should try calling the agencies and explain why one of the debts is not yours. get all the facts and see what you can do to negotiate.  If you do negotiate a deal, be awar that the agreement could affect your credit in the future.  This is why is suggest calling a lawyer to discuss and have them talk to the agency to resolve it.  In most cases, the original creditor has sold the debt to another company and they are monitoring the SOL, so it is likely that the SOL has not run as the agency would be in LOTS of trouble with their client.  This is why is suggest you call a lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption