What are the requirements in order to obtain a green card through a job offer?

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the requirements in order to obtain a green card through a job offer?

I am from India and an employer (business entity) is interested in hiring me for the long term (permanent basis). How long can the wait to obtain the GC typically take?

Asked on December 23, 2011 under Immigration Law, New York


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

For Indian nationals the process is very long, especially if you only have a bachelor's degree and/or if the job only requires a bachelor's degree.  Typically, it can take about 6-8 years.  But, during all that time, you would typically be in H-1B status which is a nonimmigrant status and can be in parallel to the permanent employment-based (green card) process that is filed by your employer on your behalf.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption