What are the proper steps to take for my future wife to come to the U.S. with me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the proper steps to take for my future wife to come to the U.S. with me?

I am a U.S. citizen but I currently live in Finland. My fiance and I are getting
married this month here in Finland. My fiance is not a U.S. citizens and we
have plans to move to the states since I am almost finished with my studies here.
I’ve been doing research on how she could come with me to the states legally but
I haven’t found any info that fits our situation. Is there a way you can help
with a list of steps to follow or a link that would explain what we need to do?
It would help a lot. Thank you in advance.

Asked on January 5, 2019 under Immigration Law


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You should petition for your spouse once you are legally married so that she will be able to get an immigrant visa and enter the US with you as a green card holder.  Keep in mind that this process can take about a year.  SHe may be able to enter the US as a tourist and then complete the process in the US but this is more risky and you should discuss it with an immigration attorney before you do anything so that you understand the issues involved and don't jeopardize her ability to immigrate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption