What are the next of kin laws in pennsylvania

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the next of kin laws in pennsylvania

My mother passed away with no will. Her POD
homeowners insurance pays off the house and
reverts ownership back to her ex husband but
now my half sister and I are arguing over the
contents of the property. I being the oldest feel
I should have some rights to my mothers
properties but since she resides in the house,
she has taken over complete control and has
changed the locks and so forth. Could you
please inform me of my legal rights and or next

Asked on August 20, 2019 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

When there is no will, any property not disposed of by, for example, being POD/TOD, passes according to "intestate succession" (the rules who for gets what when there is no will). When the deceased was not married when she passed, that property--for example, the contents of the home; any money in a non-joint bank account (money in a joint account goes to the surviving joint account holder)--will be split evenly between the deceased's children: that is, evenly split between you and your sister. Her living in the home is irrelevant, as is birth order: it is an even distribution.
You could bring a legal action against her to recover your share. This action is much more complex than, say, a small claims case, and must be brought in the probate part of chancery (also known as general equity or equity) court (the part of the court dealing with ownership of property and inheritance). You are advised to retain an attorney if you wish to pursue a legal action; and if the amount at stake is not enough to justify hiring a lawyer, it is probably not worth pursuing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption