What are the legal options for evicting an ex-boyfriend who refuses to vacate a property that my mother owns?

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the legal options for evicting an ex-boyfriend who refuses to vacate a property that my mother owns?

I moved into a house 14 years ago, owned by mother but not inhabited by her. A year later I moved in my boyfriend at the time. He made a verbal agreement with my mother to pay $500 a month, pay for water and power, plus groceries for my son and I. Then 4 months ago I ended our relationship, moved into a separate room in the house, and asked him to be out the next month. He has not done so and continually makes the living situation for me and my son extremely unpleasant and downright hostile. He does still pay for the things he agreed to, basically.

Asked on August 26, 2011 California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Since he paid rent he is a tenant, whether or not he had a formal lease. What you (and by you I mean your mother since she is the owner) need to do is to serve him with notice to quit (30 days from the date that his next rent payment is due). After notice is given, if he still remains you will have to file for an "unlawful detainer" (i.e. an eviction lawsuit). Once a judge issues an order to vacate, the tenant will have to leave. If he still fails to do so, you can have a sheriff remove him and by physical force if necessary.

So in your situation, as tough as it may be to continue living with your ex-boyfriend, follow proper legal procedures and don't do anything by way of self-help remedies. This includes removing his personal belongings or changing the lock, etc. If you do he could end up suing you for unlawful eviction.

At this point I would consult directly with an attorney in your area who handles landlord-tenant matters. They can best advise as to your rights/responsibilities.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption