What are the guidelines for divorced parents claiming a child on tax returns?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the guidelines for divorced parents claiming a child on tax returns?

My ex-wife has legal custody but our 16 year old daughter lives with me and was living with me 11 months of last week.

Asked on January 13, 2013 under Family Law, Mississippi


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Custom and practice is that the state court issues an order with respect to child support and cusotdy issues as to which parent can claim the minor child on state and federal tax returns. If such is not decided, then you need to either get a written stipulation from your "ex" as to the issue or file a petition with the court seeking such.

However, since you have the minor 11 of the 12 months it would appear that you are entitled to claim the child on your state and federal tax retuns.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption