What are the consequences regarding a negligent trustee?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the consequences regarding a negligent trustee?

My sister and brother are trusteed of my parents Crummy Trust. They have not been disclosing financial results annually as specificied in provisions of the trust and also have not been doing the filings to the IRS appropriately. This has been going on for several years, in fact for the past 24 years. Also, questions from the other 2 of 4 siblings in the Trust, have been ignored. Moreover, they have been told that it is none of their business. What can the beneficiaries do to get insight into the Trust performance and, if there has been negligence, what can be done to get the trustees removed from their position?

Asked on May 8, 2019 under Estate Planning, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Trustees are fiduciaries: that is, they have a law-imposed "fiduciary duty" of loyalty to the beneficiaries, of not putting their own interests ahead of the interests of the beneficiaries (no "self dealing"), and of using reasonable care in managing the trust--as well as the duty to follow the terms of the trust itself. 
Beneficiaries who believe that trustees may be violating these duties can bring a type of legal action traditionally called an action "for an accounting" to, as the term implies, make the trustees "account for" their actions. In the course of the lawsuit, there are mechanisms (called "discovery") to make the trustees provide information about the trust and their actions. If the court finds that the trustees violated their duties, it can order them to or not do certain things, or even replace them as trustees.
This kind of legal action is significantly more complex than, say, a small claims case; you are strongly advised to retain an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption