What are ‘papers being drawn against me”? mean?

UPDATED: May 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are ‘papers being drawn against me”? mean?

Last weekend my Mom & I stayed at Aunts for baby shower. She allowed us 2 stay in her room. We left Sun.afternoon & later, she called me 2 demand I return her missing rings. I didnt steal her rings. i wouldnt do that to her. I love her. There were ALOT of people in her home over the weekend and her home was unlocked and empty Sun. morning while we were all at lunch. She claims she noticed it missing Sat. nite but didnt say anything until Sun. nite? Two of her adult kids are recovering **** painkillers addicts. Please help. What to do if and when the police show up?

Asked on May 13, 2009 under Criminal Law, Mississippi


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You don't state how old your aunt is or whether or not she may be suffering from the beginning of dementia.  Paranoia and the thoughts that people are stealing from you are some of the first signs of a deteriorating mental condition of dementia or Alzheimer's Disease.  If that is the case, the police have dealt with these things before and you'll need to bring it up with them.  If that is not the case, and the police do show up, you might need to hire an attorney.  If you cannot afford one, you can ask the court to assign a public defender to respresent you.  Under the circumstances you described, it will be difficult to prove the case against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption