What are our options for being assaulted on a job?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are our options for being assaulted on a job?

About 10 months ago, my husband was attacked by a co-worker and sustained a bleeding head injury. His employers made him go to the hospital and when he returned to work the same day he was fired. His employers denied his unemployment compensation and are now sending him the bills for the hospital visit, which included alcohol/drug screening both clear. I feel as if he could sue but I’d like to know what our options are.

Asked on October 22, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

He can't sue the employer for being terminated, unless he had a written employment contract which they violated. Unfortunately, when there is no employment contract, you are an "employee at will" and may be fired at any time, for any reason, even such a blatantly unfair one.
He can appeal the denial of unemployment and attempt to show that his termination was not "for cause"--that is, he was not insubordinate, did not violate employer instructions, was not absent without authorization or a valid reason, etc. Only if he was terminated "for cause" should they deny him unemployment. He can initially appeal within the unemployment office (they have an appeals process) and, if that doesn't work, could file a legal action to further appeal in court.
The employer is not obligated to pay for his hospital visit unless the employer was at fault (see below), so they can look to recover this cost from your husband. It was his medical visit and is his responsibility, unless there was fault.
He can sue the coworker who attacked him for the medical bills and lost income from losing his job (a court might not give him the lost income claim, because the court *might* conclude that it was not the attacker's fault that the employer fired your husband, but it's definitely worth including the claim in the suit), and possibly also for some small amount for "pain and suffering." A person who intentionally attacks or injures another is liable for the injuries and costs he causes.
The employer is not usually or generally at fault for the criminal actions, like assault, of its employees, because committing crimes is in no way part of their job. BUT the employer can be liable (such as for the medical costs) *if* they had some reasonable warning that this coworker was either generally violent/dangerous or else posed a specific threat to your husband (e.g. had made threats to or about your husband, which were brought to the employer's attention). If they had knowledge of specific threats but failed to take reasonable action (anything from changing the attacker's or your husband's duties or shifts so as to separate them, up to terminating a dangerous coworker), that could make them liable under the theory of "negligent supervision." If they are liable, then in that case, your husband could likely sue for improper termination, too, since even with employment at will, it is wrongful to terminate someone for the employer's negligent act.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption