What are my rights as a renter relevent to an eviction based on non-factual events involving a nosy neighbor and a special needs child?

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights as a renter relevent to an eviction based on non-factual events involving a nosy neighbor and a special needs child?

Basically I was able to secure an apartment about 1.5 months ago. I am 23, work 3 jobs (literally 7 days a week) and I have a son with severe special needs. Upon moving in I have been harrassed by my neighbor. She sits outside smoking cigarettes and basically makes me feel uncomfortable. I have tried talking with her respectfully and have no success; meanwhile the office manager is unwilling to work with me. I have a great reputation and a respectable life. I am getting evicted in 30 days based on complaint by this neighbor and need to know my rights.

Asked on July 3, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you write, I presume the eviction is being based on a claim that you have discturbed the right to peaceful enjoyment of this other tenant. If so, that is a valid ground for eviction, BUT it must be shown that  you are engaging in behavior that would in fact disturb the peaceful enjoyment of their premises or rental unit of a reasonable person--i.e. it's not enough that you may have done something to annoy this person, if she's being unreasonable--and that you continued to do so after written notice and a chance to stop doing whatever it was. You can therefore try to defend yourself against the eviction action--you can only be evicted through the courts--by showing that you (and your son) have not in fact done anything which would so disturb a reasonable fellow tenant. You can try to do this yourself, but would be better off with legal assistance; if you can't afford an attorney, try contacting Legal Services. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption