What are my rights regarding HOA debt payment plans?

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding HOA debt payment plans?

I got behind in payments to the HOA agreed to make 2payments on line to catch up the 1st went through the second I tried to pay the same way on 2 occasions, they filed suit I agreed to a payment plan to avoid court have now made 2 payments since my debt is now $700 more than originally owed and they sent me a letter of default when I have a recorded message saying that payment was received and is not in default.

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The problem that you are experiencing with your HOA is that you do not have a formal written settlement agreement regarding monies owed for past dues. Had you had such a signed agreement, you would not be dealing with an ever changing situation on the money claimed owed.

I suggest that you sit down with a representative of the HOA about fees owed and sign a written agreement over the amount owed and how you are to pay it off over time to avoid the court date coming up. If you cannot get the dispute resolved on your own, you should consult with a real estate attorney familiar in association disputes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption