What are my rights regarding compensation for damages to my vehicle caused by an unauthorized driver?

UPDATED: Jun 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding compensation for damages to my vehicle caused by an unauthorized driver?

My son’s friend (age 18) was driving my vehicle without my knowledge or permission and hit a curb. The resulting damage has totaled the vehicle. I have not at this point pressed any charges. My son (age 17) and another minor were with him in the vehicle. No injuries or property damage.

Asked on June 28, 2012 under Accident Law, Maryland


John Arthur-Mensah

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You may sue for any all damages in either district court or circuit ct depending on the amount of damages. Did he have insurance? If not I can assist you with pursuing as much money as possible from your insurance company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption