What are my rights if my name is still on the house that my ex-husband and I purchased?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my name is still on the house that my ex-husband and I purchased?

I divorced my ex husband 8 years ago. I walked away with nothing because I was-just ready to get out of the marriage. I left my name on the house because our son was going to stay with his dad and he was going to college and I didn’t want him to worry about finding a apartment and pay rent somewhere. I wanted his focus to be on school. My son no longer stays there and has moved. My

ex-husband recently contacted me about signing a deed to the house. I want to

know what my options are? Do I have a right to have him buy me out or pay me

equity for the time spent in the home? We had it for 8 years before our divorce.

Asked on October 16, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If there was an agreement or order in the divorce indicating what will happen to the house at this time or to any proceeds from a sale, you have to follow what it says.
If there is no such agreement or order, if the two of you are on the deed/title, you are co-owners: you therefore are (to oversimplify) a half-owner and entitled to half the equity. If he wants you off the deed, he has to work something out with you that you will voluntarily sign over or quitclaim your interest. Because you want to avoid this turning into protracted and expensive litigation if he decides to try to bring some legal action to force the sale of the house (which he can do, if you and he cannot agree voluntarily as to what to do; this type of legal action is commonly called an action "for partition"), you probably should accept any reasonabl amount you can get him to offer, to get some money you were evidently not counting on and complete disentangling yourself from him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption