What are my rights if my boss threatened me because I wouldn’t sign a warning?

UPDATED: Apr 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my boss threatened me because I wouldn’t sign a warning?

A misunderstanding took place at work. When I tried to tell my side I was treated very rudely and told to sign a warning. I asked if I could write my side of the story on the warning and was told no. At that point my boss said that if I didn’t sign it I would have problems. If I quit because of this can I still receive unemployment?

Asked on April 14, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, if  you quit due to this you will NOT receive unemployment compensation, because it is a voluntary departure from you job.

Unless you have an employment contract, you are an employee at will. An employee at will has almost no protections at work--you can be fired at will, discriplined at will, demoted at will, etc.; at any time and for any reason, including for not signing a warning. Also, employers have no obligation to treat people well or fairly, other than the obligation to not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age over 40, sex, or disability, etc.; but apart from not discriminating on those protected bases, you can be treated badly and are expected to put up with it...or if you leave, it is your choice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption