What are my rights if my landlord will not fix my A/C?

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my landlord will not fix my A/C?

Asked on June 13, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Many states provide that�that if a landlord fails to provide running water, gas, electricity, hot water, heat and/or cooling, then the tenant may give notice to the landlord that�they are�in breach of the lease. At that point, the tenant has one of the following�3 options: hire someone to fix the unit and deduct the cost of the repair from�the next month’s rent; find substitute housing until the A/C is fixed; or terminate the lease and sue for incidental expneses related thereto.

That having all been said, this is just a brief outline; there are requirements for taking any of the above steps. Additionally, state laws vary as to the specifcs of any of the above remedies. At this point, you can consult directly with an attorney who handles these type cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption