What are my rights concerning working in hazardous working conditions?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights concerning working in hazardous working conditions?

I work for a large retail company and we are currently closed due to a severe rat infestation. I am exposed to rat feces on almost a daily basis. I now suffer from

migraines. What are my rights work and is there anything that I can do to fix this

situation without having to quit my job?

Asked on February 17, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can file specific or anonymous complaints with governmental entities.  You can file a general OSHA complaint for a hazardous work environment. You do not have to give your name, just the nature of the complaint.   You can also file a claim with the Texas Worker's Compensation Commission for injuries or ailments you have sustained while working there.  If your employer retaliates against your for either, then you can file a retaliation complaint.
Another option is to hire an attorney to represent you regarding the ailments.  They can also help you defend yourself against any retaliation measures by your employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption