What are my rights as trustee?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights as trustee?

I am sole trustee of a Trust created by my parents. My father passed away last year and my mother was the default trustee. Since she is elderly, we agreed that I would be the trustee. We did all of the work with the attorney and have the legal papers/codicil, etc. Their financial advisor insists on speaking to my mother whenever I make a request of any kind. She says she just has my mom’s best interests in mind. My mother lives with us and we take care of all of her needs. Does the financial advisor have a right to question me or resist my requests?

Asked on November 10, 2017 under Estate Planning, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

What the financial advisor is worried about is that there could be undue influence over your Mother or that she does not have the capacity to make decisions.  However, if you are now the Trustee and all documents have been filed and no one has contested same, the advisor should not be asking your Mother.  Perhaps it is time to get a new one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption