What are my rights as a resident manager?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights as a resident manager?

I was let go this past Thursday as a resident manager at an apartment complex in
San Diego, CA. I was told that I have 7 days to vacate. I worked and was given
a rent credit in exchange for my services, at a rate of 1050 per month. Can they
legally ask me to be out in 7 days? I did technically pay rent, as my hours
worked were in exchange for housing, and labeled ‘rent credit’. Do I have any
rights, if so, what are my rights?

Asked on April 12, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can remove you if you no longer work for them and you received your housing at least in part due to being employed by them: when a resident employee receives housing as part of his/her job and the job tends, the employee can be required to vacate. If you don't leave within the indicated time frame, they cannot themselves lock you out; they have to file an eviction action and let the court remove you, which will take some additional time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption