What are my rights and responsibilities?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights and responsibilities?

My grandmother died over 4 years ago. She had a Will stating that everything went to my mother and uncle. On 8-8-19 my mother passed as well having no Will. Unknown to me, the estate of my grandmother for some reason is still in probate. There are 2 claims against it totaling around $15,000. As far as I could tell by state law her part would now go to me. My uncle said the current probate lawyer told him the same. My issue is that my uncle being personal representative, I am not getting the information I believe that I should be. When my mom died before my uncle found out it was not all his, he wanted to keep the house. There is a lot of work to do before it would sell. Now he wants to move out of state and has told me that I have to pay for the taxes, insurance, etc.

Asked on October 15, 2019 under Estate Planning, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Until and unless you inherit the house (that is, it becomes yours, in whole or in part and you are on the title) you have no legal or financial obligations to it. You don't have to pay for it if you don't want to. Yes, if you want to inherit your mother's share or interest in it (her children will inherit from her, if she was not married when she passed and there was no will), you might voluntarily want to contribute money so it is not foreclosed on, taken for unpaid taxes, not uninsured, etc. But it would be your choice to do so; while it is still part of her or your grandmother's estate, before it has come to you, you don't need to do or pay anything.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption