What are my rights regarding a hostile work enciornment?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding a hostile work enciornment?

I work as a live-in care giver. I worked every day last year without 1 day off. Now my worked is suffering because my body is so tired and my boss wants to let me go; she has brought in her son to try to intimidate me into leaving sooner. On a daily basis, he is creating a hostile work environment. I wanted to know what are my rights, if any?

Asked on March 4, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, New Mexico


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, this situation does not qualigy for a hostile work enviornment claim. Such an enviornment must involve some form of discrimination or retaliation. Yet, from what you write, this doesn't appear to be the case so you have no claim. In an "at will" work relationship, a business can set the conditions of employment much as it see fits unless doing so in some way violates the terms of a union/collective bargaining agreement or employment contract. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption