What are my options when I become a fraud victim?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options when I become a fraud victim?

I was attempting to purchase concert tickets from Craigslist. I got in touch
with one seller and spoke to them through text as well as phone call. We agreed
on a price and I sent the money for the tickets. Once I sent the money, I never
received the tickets and the sellers stopped replying to me and answering my
calls. Where can I go from here?

Asked on September 22, 2016 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

1) If you have a street address or can get one for him, you could sue him for the money. Unfortunately, you can't start a lawsuit, since you can't legally "serve" the defendant, without a physical address.
2) You can file a complaint with the police and look to press charges. 
That, unfortunately, is about all you can do, which is why you should *never* send money to anyone on Craigslist until you get the goods, or without simultaneous exchange of cash for goods; this type of fraud is common. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption