What are my options when an employer breaks an agreement about paying for tuition?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options when an employer breaks an agreement about paying for tuition?

I entered into a signed agreement with my employer that they would pay for my tuition and books if I agreed to work for them for a period matching the length of my studies. The contract I signed said they were pay for tuition and books as outlined. Originally I planned to take my courses over 5 semesters but condensed my coursework into 3 semesters so I could graduate faster. They are the exact same courses, just in a shorter time span. My employer has already paid for 2 semesters – the spring and fall of this year. Now he says he does not want to pay that much and wants to put a cap of $3000 a year and that I owe $4500 back. After speaking with him about it, he says if I agree to work here for 5 years he will continue to pay. I don’t want to have to continue working somewhere I hate for 5 years. In my head, this contract would be null if he tries to make me pay back money. Could you please advise me what my rights are in regards to this contract and what my options are? I can email a copy of the contract to help as well.

Asked on September 2, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

A contract is enforceable as per its plain terms. If the agreement clearly states that they will pay for your tuition if you are working for them for a matching length of time, they have to do that: if you honor your obligations in a contract, the other side must honor theirs, too. If they won't, you could file a lawsuit for breach of contract and seek a court judgment requiring them to pay the balance of the tuition and without getting repayment from you. If the employer wanted a cap on per-year payment, it could have negotiated that from the start; having failed to do so, it is stuck with the contract it entered into.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption