What are my options to remove my name as a co-signer of a car loan?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options to remove my name as a co-signer of a car loan?

I am a co-signer on my ex-fiance’s vehicle. I have contacted the loan office to get removed from it. I have contacted my ex to gethe removed from it. The loan office tells me there is nothing that they he can do. And now I have no way to contact my ex, as it’s been 10 months and he still hasn’t done anything to remove myself from it. Only options I can think of is to take him to court or just take the car and pay it off or sell it. What are my legal options?

Asked on February 18, 2016 under Business Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can't "remove" yourself from the loan unless ALL parties to the loan--the co-signer, and the bank or financing company--agree to it, because any change to a contract (and a loan is a contract in this regard) requres everyone who's a party to the contract to consent or agree to it. You could pay off the loan then sue him to recover the share or amount he should have paid--that's your only real recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption