What are my options to evict my ex-boyfriend from my home?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options to evict my ex-boyfriend from my home?

I asked my boyfriend to vacate my house 2 months ago. He still refuses to leave. Can I change the locks? What are my options?

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You say it is "your home." If it is your home, you can get him out, but you have to do it through the court system--you can't just change the locks yourself:

1) If he's not paying rent and is just a guest, he can only stay as long as he has your permission. You can revoke that permission then go to court to evict him if he doesn't leave.

2) If he's paying rent (including possibly paying utilities, towards mortgage, etc.) but there is no lease, he's a month to month tenant and you can give him 30 days notice terminating his tenancy, then evict him if he doesn't go.

3) If he has a written lease, you can only evict him if violates the lease, doesn't pay rent, or at the end of the lease term.

You should get a lawyer to help you--not only can the lawyer navigate the legal requirements better than you, but you may want a not-emotionally involved 3rd party to take the lead on this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption