What are my options regarding a used car dealership that sold me a bad car?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options regarding a used car dealership that sold me a bad car?

About 5 months ago, I bought a 3 year old luxury car. Over the past several weeks it kept breaking

down, so I brought my car into a dealership. They told me that the car was sold to me with a poor battery a battery meant more for a motorcycle, and not for this car, and that this low battery voltage caused a variety of other problems throughout the car. I am looking at $2,200 of repairs to start, and maybe another 4k, if another part needs to be replaced. The dealer denies that the battery can cause these kinds of problems. How can I proceed? What are my options? What are the laws in PA regarding used car dealerships that sell bad cars to people?

Asked on October 11, 2017 under Business Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You recourse would be if the dealership knew (or logically MUST have known--i.e. any reasonable dealership in their position would have known) about the battery. If they knew about such a material, or important, issue but did not disclose it, you could sue them for fraud and/or the related cause of action of consumer fraud (deceiving customers) to recover all the costs or damage it caused. It is likely they must have known (and, of course, may have admitted to you when you confronted them), because a dealer would examine a car it took in to buy, so you have a reasonably good chance of recovering money if you were to sue. Suing in small claims court, as your own attorney or "pro se," to save money is  a good option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption