What are my options?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options?

I worked at an organization from 12-8-2014
until 11-20-2015. My last check was received
on 12-4-2015. I was hired under a position that
paid 47916 a year. However, I found
documentation signed by a supervisor that
listed me in a different position which had a
starting pay of 52502 a year. I contacted the
HR department of that company about the pay
discrepancy and a representative told me that
the documentation was for internal use only.
What are my options to getting the pay

Asked on November 27, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You have no options to get the money because you have no enforceable rights to it UNLESS you had a signed written employment contract which guaranteed you the higher sum. If you did, you could sue to enforce the contract, for "breach of contract" (them violating what the contract says), to get the additional money. But without a written employment contract, you were an employee at will and your pay was simply whatever they in fact paid you: it doesn't matter if they may have considered or planned or contemplated paying you more, as an employee at will, you have no right to any particular pay. Whatever you received is what your pay was.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption