what are my options?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what are my options?

Evansville, Indiana..Business truck hit my 2000 VW Bug while it was parked on the street. He did not stop..witnessed by 2 neighbors whom he had just left their home he gave them his business card. They informed of this..called police and did hit and run report. The man who hit my car stops by 2 days later says he’s sorry it took him so long to come by and give insurance info but he had been really busy..I asked if police contacted him, he said he didn’t know because he hadn’t checked his voice mail. He did contact his insurance and said he hit my car. The body shop ‘totaled’ my car..Car was 25th Christmas/anniversary gift with less than 100,000 actual miles still is and have put 4000 in it have receipts..how does this work with my insurance? Thank you

Asked on July 17, 2017 under Accident Law, Indiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your property damage claim should be filed with the at-fault party's insurance.  If you are dissatisfied with the settlement offer from the at-fault party's insurance, your only recourse is to reject the settlement offer and file a lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party.  Your lawsuit should name both the company that owns the business truck and the truck driver as defendants.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption