What are my options regarding an assault that I suffered during the course of my teaching duties?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options regarding an assault that I suffered during the course of my teaching duties?

I asked a high school junior to put his cell phone away and remove his hoodie, both per school rules. In the foulest language possible he told me what I could do. I told him to do what I asked him to do or leave the class. His response was

Asked on April 30, 2017 under Personal Injury, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1) You can press charges for this assault--it is a criminal offense.
2) You can sue his parents or legal guardians for any out-of-pocket medical expenses (i.e. expenses not paid by insurance), lost wages (if you miss work), and some amount for "pain and suffering" for the lingering effects of the concussion and for the loss of your teeth. (And in regards to medical expenses: you can look to recover for sufficiently foreseeable future medical costs, too, as well as for costs incurred to date: e.g. the cost to future cosmetic dentistry, orothodonture, etc.).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption