What are my option in terms of a lawsuit regarding the death of my daughter from a tonsilectomy?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my option in terms of a lawsuit regarding the death of my daughter from a tonsilectomy?

Do both parents have to agree to a lawsuit or can one be against it and one not and still proceed?

Asked on April 11, 2012 under Malpractice Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Good question. If you and your spouse lost a child as a result of possible medical malpractice resulting from a tonsilectomy, you as one of the surviving parents have your own lawsuit to bring for wrongful death in your own right in addition to any action against the health care provider on behalf of your child's estate.

Meaning, both parents do not have to agree to file the medical malpractice lawsuit. I suggest that you consult further with an attorney that practices in the area of medical malpractice to answer any further questions that you may have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption