What are my legal rights in Utah regarding someone else’s property left in my home?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my legal rights in Utah regarding someone else’s property left in my home?

My adult daughter left household belongings in my home to be stored indefinately
against my wishes. I would like the stuff removed. What is my recourse?

Asked on August 5, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

She does NOT have the right to make you store her belongings for her. Send her a letter, sent some way or (ideally) ways you can prove delivery, telling her that she has 30 days to remove her belongings or you will treat them as abandoned and dispose of them. Send her a reminder, sent so you an prove delivery, at 15 days, and a third at 5 days. If after that she will not come get her stuff, you will be in very good shape to dispose of it and defend yourself if she tries to sue, since you will have provably given her multiple opportunities to retrieve it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption